Planting Rules and Regulations
The Willows is a natural burial ground which supports flourishing wildflower meadows and woodland. Although the planting of native British bulbs and wildflower is permitted, graves should not be individually marked in order to create a place of natural beauty throughout the site.
Here at The Willows we are creating a flourishing natural British woodland for people to enjoy now, and in the future. Trees planted at The Willows Natural Burial Ground must be purchased from us. Please find a list of native British trees at the bottom of this page.
The planting of flowers or shrubs is discouraged as it prevents the regeneration of our natural landscape. If you do wish to plant Natural British wildflowers please ensure that the plants you purchase are WILD FLOWER bulbs and plugs and NOT garden varieties.
As the graves settle a certain amount of top filling will take place, for this reason planting is not recommended until at least six months after burial. Further topping up of graves may be required over the years and the survival of any plants cannot be guaranteed.
To enable the burial ground to evolve into natural wildflower meadow and woodland your help is critical in maintaining these guidelines. Please plant randomly avoiding the creation of gardens and the demarcation of plots.
We welcome any and all communication before planting to clarify regulations.
The Willows Natural Burial Grounds Ltd reserves the right to remove any plants judged not to be Native British Wildflowers.
Wildflower Seed Native to the UK:
Wild Primroses (wild vulgaris)
Meadow crane’s bill (hardy wild geranium)
Cyclamen (hardy variety)
Trees Native to the UK:
1. Scots Pine - Pinus sylvestris
2. Bay Willow - Salix Pentandra
3. Alder - Alnus glutinosa
4. Hazel - Corylus avellana
5. Small Leaved Lime - Tilia cordata
6. Bird Cherry - Prunus padus
7. Goat Willow - Salix caprea
8. Rowan Mountain Ash - Sorbus aucuparia
9. Sessile Oak - Quercus petraea
10. Juniper - Juniperus communis
11. Downy Birch - Betula pubescens
12. Silver Birch - Betula pendula
13. Aspen - Populus tremula
14. Holly - Ilex aquifolium
15. Common or Pedunculate Oak - Quercus robur
16. Hawthorn - Crataegus monogyna
17. Crack Willow - Salix fragilis
19. Black Poplar - Populus nigra
19. Whitebeam - Sorbus aria
20. Midland Hawthorn - Crataegus leavigata
21. Crab Apple - Malus sylvestris
22. Wild or Gean Cherry - Prunus avium
23. White Willow - Salix alba
24. Field Maple - Acer campestre
25. Wild Service Tree - Sorbus torminalis
26. Large Leaved Lime - Tilia platyphyllos
27. Beech - Fagus sylvatica
28. Hornbeam - Carpinus betulus